Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  I have been rebuilding automatic transmissions for 25 years
14541291

Transmissions GMC Savanna: How far into a GM transmission should

Customer Question

How far into a GM transmission should the tip of the dipstick extend? Or better yet, where should the HOT hash marks be in relation to the tranny body? I have a 2008 GMC van, 1/2 ton, AWD, that has a 6' dipstick that is twisted from end to end. I think it's too short. I first checked the tranny level in 2010 and found it to be 1.5 qt.s low. After adding to the top of the HOT hash marks, HOT, in park, it has been leaking oil out of the dipstick tube bend/joint near the rear of the engine. (fire hazard) I think it's a ....60-E tranny.
Thanks!
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you
first,you do need to get that leak fixed,,the fluid level needs to be checked with the engine warm,at an idle and in park..it should show full on the stick,,do not over fill.
no,the dipstick can not be extended.
PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]
.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qd3ckdawgayjuy/0622-savana--transmission%20Fluid%20Check.doc?dl=0
.
if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way
thanks
.
www.dropbox.com/s/9qd3ckdawgayjuy/0622-savana--transmission%20Fluid%20Check.doc?dl=0
.
If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You did NOT answer the question!!! I'm not stupid. I know how to warm up a tranny and use a factory dipstick! But since I added 1.5 qts of oil in 2010 (the first and only time it was adjusted since new), to bring the oil up to the HOT hash marks, on the factory dipstick, it has been blowing oil out the joint halfway up the 6 ft long dipstick tube. Which the shop manual states is the result of overfilling. I believe the factory dipstick was over twisted at the factory and is too short. I specifically asked for the "measurement" inside the transmission where the oil should be when hot and running. So I can check and/or adjust the factory dipstick to be accurate. I believe the tranny IS overfilled because the factory dipstick was made too short, and the leak will stop when the oil level is back to where it should be. Can you or can you not give me that measurement? Is it above or below the gasket line? By how much? Don't tell me I can't adjust the dipstick. As I said, it was twisted at the factory from end to end, all 6 feet of it. I could easily untwist and lengthen the dipstick with the simplest of hand tools.
ok
stand by,i will opt out,,someone will be right with you
thanks