sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Engine shuts down while in park and drive and reverse but sets

Customer Question

engine shuts down while in park and drive and reverse but sets no trouble codes
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This does not happen every time I start it. It seems to have to warm up first then it starts doing it shut down routine. Yesterday I went into town and did not have any problem with it. Came home and pulling in driveway, it stumbled a little and then shut down. Started right back up and idled a few seconds and then stumbles and shuts down. Most of the time I am in park when it happens. But it sets no codes. Confused as to what it may be. A intake manifold gasket, a throttle body gasket? Please help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why is this being answered by a transmission mech? I did not ask for a trans mech.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It sounds as if you could have an upstream oxygen sensor issue. If the sensor's internal heater becomes weak it will allow the sensor to cool off at low speeds or idle, or heat up too slowly from a cold start. If the sensor's signal voltage remains too high then the engine controller will think it's running rich and take fuel away.
What I would recommend is unplugging the upstream sensor, disconnect the battery to clear the adaptives, and take it for a ride to see if the problem is gone. If so then replace the sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But that would set a trouble code, right? There are no codes being set when it does this.
None of what I mentioned would be expected to set a code.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will try it.
Let me know how it goes!