Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  I have been rebuilding automatic transmissions for 25 years
14541291

My 1999 Dodge 2500, V8, automatic seems slow to catch or take

Customer Question

My 1999 Dodge 2500, V8, automatic seems slow to catch or take off in first gear. ALL other gears are fine. This couldn't come at a worse time. Moving cross country in 3 days!
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
,Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.please explain,,will it move at all in first?,trying to fix this problem?what all have you tried/replaced ?does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the trouble codes?how many miles is on the truck?tell me all you canthanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes truck does eventually engage in first, just slow to do so. I have no idea how to address the problem. Engine light does not stay on. Every other functionality of the truck appears normal. Just slow to take off in first. No trouble codes or indicators displayed.

178 thousand miles. Fluid is full, does not look, feel, smell icky.

ok
are you there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

ok,,all you can try from the outside of the transmission,,is to replace the filter
sometimes a clogged filter will do this
if the filter doesnt fix this,,i would thnkk the low band is worn,,and the transmission will need to be rebuiilt
so,try a new filter
,If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.