sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I have a 2002 solara the other day I got in it and it would

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2002 solara the other day I got in it and it would not go into gear , I checked transmission fluke it showed nothing so I put fluid and it was good for a day , then the next day nothing , so I put a code reader on it and it came up with one code 0p500 do u think that's it
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer!
The P0500 could potentially be setting because of the slippage. If the trans controller sees the input speed sensor signal present but not output speed then it could set this.
If you're having to add that much trans fluid then you have a substantial leak. The leak could be at the trans itself, a leaking cooler line, or the cooler itself. What will need to be done is determine where the fluid is leaking and repair the leak. If the P0500 didn't start setting until the leak /disengagement issue then repairing the leak should also take care of that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont think u understand , I hAve no leal at all never had one
It does have a leak. You said you found it showed no fluid when you checked the level, topped off the fluid and it moved again. If you found no fluid when checking the level then the fluid that was in the transmission had leaked out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just bought this car of off a lot , used of course , I have never checked the fulid at all , it never has leaked before. Then it just stopped with no waring , I put in a quart then I was fine until the next day , the car sat still , thenvmy x comes over and put a hole gallon of atf , and of course it was to much , so I had to drain it all out , did the code reader thing and here we r
If the fluid level was found to be low then it has a leak. If no fluid was showing and topping it off allowed the car to move again then it wasn't moving because of low fluid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand that , so your saying I need to drain more out, then it will move
It's not moving now with the fluid full? The initial post didn't mention that if that's the case.