sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Transmissions Dodge Caravan: I have a 93 Dodge Grand Caravan

Customer Question

I have a 93 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 that after 10 miles an hour the transmission stops pulling. And before that started at 40 miles an hour the speedometer would freeze up. What do you think my problem would be?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The speedometer issue would be separate. If the trans was going into limp in and the speedometer was dropping out then the output speed senor and wiring would be suspect as would the trans controller, but if it was freezing in position as described then the instrument cluster shoudl be the cause.

If the trans is disengaging when warm/hot but engages again after a cooldown then the filter is restricted. It could be restricted from lack of periodic replacement or it could be debris from failure of a clutch or geartrain component. I would recommend dropping the pan and inspecting for excessive debris. If there doesn't appear to be a geartrain or clutch issue then replace the filter and you should find the problem is gone.