sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Town and country: Some times my transmission shutters a bit

Customer Question

Some times my transmission shutters a bit when shifting to 2nd and 3rd gear on a 2014 town and country has 20000 miles shifts very smooth on higher gear shifts
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

What you're feeling may or may not be an issue. without feeling it obviously I couldn't say for sure but I doubt there is anything wrong with it. These do sometimes shift harder than some people expect and it depends on driving style and the exact situation where the issue occurs. For instance if you're accelerating and snap the throttle shut during a shift it's going to shudder.

This trans came out ten years ago this year and I've looked at countless vehicles for minor shift quality complaints that were simply characteristic and don't pose a problem. Trans software has to be a balance between feel and longevity. Applying a clutch more smoothly with more slip shortens it's life.

What should be done is have a dealer make sure the powertrain control module software is up to date. There have been updates for shift quality improvements and that is definitely where you would start. If the software is up to date, the clutch volume indexes are good and it's a minor shudder then most likely it's nothing to worry abut.