tyroneboman
tyroneboman, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 Years experience as Transmission Specialist.
62741268

My 2010 Dodge Caravan 3.3l transmission seems to be locked

Customer Question

my 2010 Dodge Caravan 3.3l transmission seems to be locked in park or locked up is this a common problem and does it have a simple fix?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  tyroneboman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** certified automotive professional with over 25 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this.
Check and see if your brake lights are working and let me know please. This could be a fuse or the brake light switch on the brake pedal if the brake lights are not working.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It began with a popping noise in the front right side rolls smoothly in neutral in KOEO mode. Starting engine seems to engage park Pawl. However feel as though it attains both drive and reverse but is held back or binding.
Okay, can you move the shifter from park to drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is how we feel it is selects drive and reverse
Okay, that does not sound good. When you can put it n neutral and the car can be moved very easily with no internal binding, means it could be an internal pressure leak engaging drive and reverse at the same time , there should be OBD codes present if there is an electrical issue or if the solenoid pack is bad. Check for codes first, it may be a range sensor or solenoid pack failure. If they are not any codes present then the transmission will need to be replaced or rebuilt.
The solenoid pack is the most common cause for this condition and will be the least expensive. Hopefully that will be the case.
Please let me know if you need any other assistance.
Please take a moment to rate my service positively.
Thank you very much!