Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, Bachelors Degree in Automotive Technology, Automotive Technician for 5 years
78075103

Dodge 2500: I have a 1992 2500 with a 5.9 gen 1 Cummins. the

Customer Question

I have a 1992 2500 with a 5.9 gen 1 Cummins. the temp guage rises at normal speeds and RPMs. If I shift down to raise the RPMs the temp guage goes back to normal. I have replaced the thermostat,fan clutch,water pump.and had the radiator flushed.
I am out of ideas! Any help??
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
After reading the description of the problem and know what you have done to try and solve the issue, I have a few ideas as to what may be happening.
You are doing every thing correctly with all the parts you have replaced. We could have a new part that has an issue, my experience points to the fan clutch, or we could have a bad coolant temp sensor that is giving false readings.
In my experience though, this sounds like and all signs point to a bad coolant temperature sensor or the wiring going into and/or out of the sensor could be bad. ie chaffed, melted, kinked, corroded etc.
I hope this helps and please let me know the outcome.