Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

When I put my gear selector in to Reverse and give it gas

Customer Question

When I put my gear selector in to Reverse and give it gas the rpms pick up to 2000 rpms until you put it back into any other position. Then the rpms go right down to normal. Don't know why. There are no codes. Can someone help.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle is a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica 2wd with a 3.5 liter
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you
are you saying you have no reverse at all?
please explain
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim, here's the deal. The 2 motor mounts, the one in the front and the one in the rear were broke. When the car came here the 2 front sub-frame bolts were gone..all bushings were there, no bolts. The shifting cable was broken. So I replaced the motor mounts, the 2 front sub-frame bolts and the shifting cable. When you start it up in park idles fine, put it in reverse with foot on brake give it a little gas and it goes into Reverse fine but the rpms go up to 2000, put gear selector in neutral rpms drop to normal 750-800 rpms normal idle go to drive or any other gear it's idle is perfect. Put the gear selector back to Park. shut it off. Everything is perfect except reverse. If when you put the car in Reverse and never touch the gas the car will back up fine, the idle does not change. Just wanted to say there's 210,000 plus miles on the car. I think something's happening inside the transmission....just kinda wanted a second opinion.
hi
sorry i missed you..
let me get this right..
when you put it in reverse,,it does pull the car fine,,there is no problem with reverse,,it just idles high in reverse?
is this right?
all forward gears are fine,,correct?
does the engine light stay on?if so,canyou give me the computer codes?
tell me all you can
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are no codes...shifts into reverse smoothly....this happens only in reverse and it only idles high when the car is given gas..no check engine light..it's a mind boggler....lol
sorry.for the delay..
nut im still not understanding..
when you put it in reverse,,it does pull the car fine,,there is no problem with reverse,,it just idles high in reverse?or,,will it not pull in reverse?
is this right?
all forward gears are fine,,correct?
tell me all you can
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim, The tranny goes into reverse and the car goes backwards just fine. If you give the car any gas while in reverse the rpms go right up to 2000rpms while still in gear shift the car to park, netural or any forward gear the rpms drop right down to 750rpms. The only time the rpms increase is when the car is in reverse and you touch the gas pedal
ok,,stand by.i will opt out,maybe one of the other guys has a better idea of what is going on here,,someone will be right with youthanks