Audi0405
Audi0405, Technician
Experience:  10 years in Vw and Audi Field
22815973

Audi A6 Quattro 4.2: I have a 2003 audi A6 quattro 4.2 engine.

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2003 audi A6 quattro 4.2 engine. My problem is there is a noise when you shift the car in drive. Them after the shift is engage. There is a loud noise and the transmission indicator lights is on. Like the whole indicator from park to drive*****2. Solid red light. What I did is turned it off and the lights resets to park. I will try to move again same thing happen. What I did is drive it with transmission shift indicator lights on. I have no choice but the car will not have a loud noise of banging. Even to high speed is shifting normal. But if you slow down to full stop. The problem exist again. What should I do to fix this problem. There is no transmission code by the way thanks.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it safe to drive in limp mode. Whats the worst thing that could hapoen.will I be stuck in the streets because of that
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!
Ok like you stated the transmission is going into limp mode this indicates you have trouble codes stored in the transmission control module , the first thing you will need to have done is check the faults in the trans module with a capable scan tool because the faults in the ecm and trans module are different . You need to see whats making the transmission go into limp mode i recommend you have this done asap you dont want to be driving the transmission like that too much because you can cause more issues this way .
I HOPE THIS HELPS POSITIVE FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED WE AS EXPERTS RELY ON THIS FOR OUR FAMILY THANK YOU
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think I might end up buying a new Trans or just Trans control module
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 1 year ago.
Transmission control modules are common to fail on these models but hard to say without checking the faults in the trans module . I hope this helps.
Please dont forget the feedback we as experts rely on this thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much is the cost for transmission scanning for faults and in reference with the symptoms of my car what would be the common code tnx. Is the Trans valve body might be damage.
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 1 year ago.
Cost is about $125 at the dealer , for a common code there are so many that would trigger the transmission to go into limp mode its hard to say , the valve body have shift solenoids if one of them has failed it cause the issue you have .
Please dont forget the feedback i will still help you on the issue after the feedback thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the car tested and I have 3 fault code on the tcm.code as follows 17114 17117 17116. They suggest getting a new trans. Do I really need one with this codes. They said a cvt trans will get you stuck cause it will just go to neutral even in high speed. Thank you hope you could help me about the transmission.