Richard, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic and transmission expert.
10437779

Jaguar X-Type: my gear box fault message is on and my car drives

Customer Question

my gear box fault message is on and my car drives sluggist until I get to second gear.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not got my answer yet!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com
Is that the only warning on? Is the engine light on? Is the shifter illuminating all the gears?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No my transmission light is not on. Only the gear box fault and no cruise available.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok we may have an electrical problem or bad Transmission Control Module. To be sure we need to have the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes. A Jag factory tool is needed to do this but we can try an OBD II scan tool that can communicate with the vehicle to see if we can read fault codes. Sometimes disconnecting the negative battery terminal cable will reset the module but I would recommend we try and scan the vehicle first. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back with me. I tried taking the positive post off of the battery and that did not work. So, I am going to a jaguar repair in Flint, if I can find one.. I had a 1:00 at Troy Jaguar, but when I hit the freeway at 90 mph the engine die. The gas pedal was obsolete. No power, no acceleration.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok we may have more than one problem and it could be a failure with the electronic throttle.