sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I have a 98 honda accord when i take off and it's going from

Customer Question

i have a 98 honda accord when i take off and it's going from 1st to 2nd it feels like a snow plow but when i disconect the shift solenoids i can get it to shift manuelly
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It sounds as if the trans may be going into limp in without having an actual description of what it is doing. If the trans controller sees an issue that can cause damage or believes it doesn't have complete control then it will lock you in a single gear and it will be sluggish on takeoff, which I'm assuming is what you're feeling.
There are many causes for limp in including solenoids, wiring, the trans controller itself, speed sensors, and internal trans.
The first thing that will need to be done is reconnect everything and disconnect the battery to clear fault codes that were set by disconnecting solenoids. Drive the car and allow it to act up, then see what fault codes have set in the TCM. Once you know what codes are setting then electrical testing will likely need to be done.