Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

Lincoln mkz: I noticed that my used 2012 MKZ w/17K miles i

Customer Question

I noticed that my used 2012 MKZ w/17K miles i just purchased was only getting 17-18 MPG city, mostly what i drive. I then observed that especially in the first 2 or 3 gears, using I think normal petal pressure, it takes the RPM up to 2400, 2000 before shifting. I started a week ago to briefly release petal pressure(1-2 sec.) when 1500 to 1600 rpm's are reached causing an immediate gear change to the next highest gear. and have averaged 22+ MPG since.
1st, is this armful to my trans, fills fine, no hard shift?
2- Can my On Board Computer be programed to shift gears at these lower RPM so I don't have to watch my tach so much and watch the road more?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If your check engine light has come on with this issue here the fault codes need checked using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle.Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair the fault.
I have seen the transmission pressure control solenoid fail and cause this as well as an incorrectly reading engine mass air flow sensor needing replaced.
This will need to be checked/tested further to pinpoint and repair the fault from here.Leaving it like this for a long period of time and operating the vehicle like this can lead to transmission damage in some cases.
Thanks Pete