sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Grand Cherokee: My jeep won't shift out of first gear, I replaced

Customer Question

My jeep won't shift out of first gear, I replaced the tray filter still no luck, all tcm fuses are good what is the problem?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer!
Depending on which trans you have an what is actually going on it's most likely stuck in third. If you have a 4.0 engine it's possible that you could have a governor or kickdown band issue causing it to stay in first, but if the trans is in limp in then it's in third.
Possible causes for limp in are the trans relay, solenoid pack, if you havea 4.7 then the speed sensors, range sensor, an internal trans issues are possible.
The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to check for fault codes. If it's in limp in then there will be fault codes set that will need to be used as a starting point for diagnosis.
Have you checked for codes?