Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

TL: I have had my transmission redone on my son's car...over

Customer Question

I have had my transmission redone on my son's car...over the last 1.5 half he ah ha to go back into 3x, it has an intermitten problem of getting out of 1st to 2nd gear or sometimes going into 1st. The transmission has been rebuilt. The tranny sounds strong and runs good, but it still has difficulty more often than not 80% of time coming out of 1t. My son had someone put an amplifier in it, which kills the battery when left uncranked for more than 3 days. The mechanic said he has done everything to the transmission, but he diagnosed last week that one of the solenoids ampage was to high ad could be a direct result of the amplifier being put in and was taken out incorrectly. Could that be a problem causing the shift to still be off? What is the mechanic or me not seeing?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If the amplifier caused a voltage surge or was wired into the transmission solenoid power circuits it is possible this damaged the transmission computer.With the transmission being rebuilt and the issue still the same either it was rebuilt incorrectly and needs re checked by a different repair facility or the computer itself is at fault internally and needs replaced.
This would have to be tested further to pinpoint the exact cause and then repaired from there.
Thanks Pete