Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 24 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

Dodge ram: I have an 04 Dodge Ram 3500 with a 5.9 I'm having

Customer Question

I have an 04 Dodge Ram 3500 with a 5.9 I'm having tranny issues when I take off it seems to stay in first and revs to about 2500-3000 rpm before it shifts but usually I have to let off the pedal and push again to shift what can it be?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  73bbchevy replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried to manually shift from first to second and see if it shifts correctly then ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried and no it doesn't
Expert:  73bbchevy replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me check to see what common issue it may have. Can you give me your vin please? Also was the fluid and filter the only thing you have tried ? How many miles on the truck. ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes only thing I have tried and 235xxx
Expert:  73bbchevy replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'll check back in a bit.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Richard! I'm a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep tech with 23+ years experience & I'm going to try my best to help, so let's get started!
This could be caused by a few different things. Your upshifts are controlled by governor pressure and your downshifts are controlled by throttle pressure and here are the things you should check!
1-Check your throttle valve cable on the driver front side of the transmission. It connects to a throttle valve lever. When the gas pedal is up the lever should be all the way forward and when you start pressing the pedal it should start moving rearward, The lever has a return spring on it to return the lever to the front. Check this for binding/sticking and make sure it works freely!
2-Your governor pressure has to be monitored with a scan tool. In drive stopped the governor pressure should be 0 psi and as you start accelerating the pressure should rise. I use a scan tool along with a pressure gauge hooked to the governor pressure port on the right side of the transmission then I compare to make sure the sensor is working properly. Governor solenoids are the most common part that fails with these 42/44/46/47/48re transmissions. I always replace the solenoid along with the sensor if found faulty. They are easy to replace you just have to pull the pan off to replace.
3-Another thing it could be is a sticking valve in the valve body and the only way to repair it is to replace the valve body or have it rebuilt by a professional.
4-Another thing you could check is the output speed sensor. This sensor tells the PCM the output shaft speed of the transmission which is then used for governor pressure calculations for the electronic governor. When the output speed sensor signal is missing it will have either no upshift or a delayed upshift depending on year. The output speed sensor can be checked with a scan tool or an oscilloscope. You can also check the resistance with an ohm meter to see if it is open or shorted. The resistance should be around 580-700 ohms.
5-Sometimes if your transmission won't up shift out of low until you get your revs and speed way up and then have to back off to get it to up shift you could have a front band that is way to loose, broke or fallen apart. This will not allow a shift into second gear and it will go right from first to third. A good way to tell if your front band isn't holding the front clutch drum, is to lock out O/D with the switch, place the shifter into drive and get the transmission to upshift out of first. Once it upshifts, pull it into manual second and see if the transmission downshifts into second or into first. If the transmission goes into second and you apply the throttle, it will start to pull and you will pick up speed. If the front band isn't holding the engine will just rev up and you won't be able to go faster.
I hope this helps, let me know!
Thank you,
Expert:  73bbchevy replied 1 year ago.
matt the other expert will be more equipped to answer your question at this point, i agree with his suggestions. i will opt out so you both may continue, i wish you the best, ***** *****
Expert:  73bbchevy replied 1 year ago.
ok i have opted out, i wish you the best , Lou
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm just checking in to see the information I provided was helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you,
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I hope this helps, let me know!
Thank you,