Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

Mazda rx8: , my name is***** have 07 Rx8

Customer Question

Hello, my name is***** have 07 Rx8 manual. While driving I noticed some vibrations on shifter lever then gear changing become a problem. I managed to drive for extra few miles with rev match. Parked a car shut off the engine and was able to shift. into every gear normal. Depress the clutch and started the engine. Engine started with a short high pitch sound similar to loose drive belt, but most likely ( metal to metal) . Noticed same vibrations as before. While engine on I can't get into a gear. The clutch is not disangaging .Pedal feel in normal ( same as always during 60 k on odometer.) No brake fluid leak, master build the pressure, slave is moving the fork. I decided to drop gear box. The clutch looked almost like new, but I decided to change assemly with through out bearing. Pilot bearing tight and rotated freely, did not replaced, fork in good shape and the pivot bolt as well. No leaks, no loose parts. Re installed. I did not start the engine again, but already see that clutch is NOT dis engaging. I bleed the system . Ok one more think radial play on input shaft is. 015 in and end play. 006 .I don' know how long is the stroke for a slave. I measured distance on the top of the fork from the point where fork has resistance and is 3/8 of the inch.  Any ideas ? Thanks

Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
This fault here may be caused by an internal mechanical fault in the transmission itself.I have seen synchro. failure before cause issues.If the transmission has not been inspected this should be done to see if this is the cause and repaired as needed.
Thanks Pete