Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

1993 lincoln Mark VIII engine and transmission Mark VIII: I

Customer Question

I need a transmission expert. I purchased a 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII that would only go in reverse. I Installed the complete driveline in a 1990 Ford F150. Thus I have no way of getting trouble codes. Car had 78000 miles. Forward clutch had a bad seal I suspect was damaged on original build. I am a first time trans builder. With the help of internet and factory manual I rebuilt the transmission. Initial trial found all shifts good but the fourth gear wouldn't engage till a little over 60 mph. I thought I would live with that for awhile. Now after a thousand miles when shifting into drive I think I feel forward clutch engage but low gear doesn't engage till you raise engine rpm slightly. My question is the 3-4 accumulator causing the first problem or would it be in the vale body? The second problem I checked fluid pressures and they seemed fine but the forward pressure was zero till the rpm increase. Once low gear is engaged all is fine. Any help on where to look would be appreciated.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
This may be an issue with the transmission valve body itself or an issue with a seal leaking in the transmission or the accumulator allowing fluid to leak past it.This will cause low pressure and can cause the issues here.
Unfortunately this will need to be tested further and best done by a transmission repair facility that has access to the correct tools for testing to pinpoint the cause here,then once located repaired from there.
Thanks Pete