Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Subaru: My 2002 automatic Subaru wrx transmission will not

Customer Question

My 2002 automatic Subaru wrx transmission will not go to the 3rd or 4th gears transmission is not bad.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
Have you done testing on the solenoids?
How did you confirm there is not a transmission internal issue?
I will need to know what tests you have done to confirm if this is internal or external or something simple like a shift position switch.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've rebuilt & replaced with two different transmissions for a total of three removal/installations. Replaced computer, solenoids to no avail. All your above suggestions were done/tried. Car was driving perfect then following day all this happened. Could it be a short? What would or could be shorted out. Can't recall code because it cleared... At the time of initial check it pointed to an electrical problem.
If its electrical or a computer issue, there is going to be a code, and if cleared it would immediate return.
So you got a transmission, rebuilt it, and installed it and did this twice and there is no change at all?
Does the range sensor read the correct gear position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have rebuilt the original one and have purchased two additional ones. The range sensor reads correct gear position. All my researches has one thing in common...you have to go out of your way to break this 4EAT transmission. Could there be a short at/on connector pins that plugs on to computer?
A short should result in a code.
When monitoring the computer while driving is it commanding 3rd gear?
After 2nd, does it stay in 2nd or go to neutral?