Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Escape: My ford escape is not switching gears and is now stuck

Customer Question

My ford escape is not switching gears and is now stuck in reverse. It will not turn in since it can't go to park and I think it's got something to do with brakes. The abs and brake light has come on and off frequently in the past two or three days and now we have this issue. Any thoughts on a simple fix?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
The brakes nor ABS have any effect on the transaxle operation, so that is a separate issue. Set the parking brake, and reach through the drivers wheel well and pop off the shift linkage (ball and socket). Now manually shift the transaxle with the help of another to old the brakes. Does the trans work correct now? If so then the linkage or shifter is to blame.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris