sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Dodge dakota: My 95 Dakota with the 5.2,transmission was doing

Customer Question

My 95 Dakota with the 5.2,transmission was doing fine when I drove it to Dr.When I left it did not go into overdrive and had not since..This morning I changed the od on/off switch and it went into od fine on the way to store but when I left it did not go in again.What could be wrong?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
There are quite a few things that can prevent it from going into fourth gear. It could be a speed sensor issue, the overdrive or torque converter clutch solenoid, a wiring issue, failure of the overdrive clutch or overdrive unit geartrain, or the overdrive piston could be leaking.
The most common cause would be the overdrive clutch solenoid, especially if the problem is intermittent.
The first thing that will need to be done is check for fault codes. If it's purposely inhibiting overdrive then there will most likely be a code set, if it's an electrical issue with the solenoid circuit then there will definitely be a code set.