SuperDave
SuperDave, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  over 16 years experience
10552493

Chrysler: I cannot shift my 2008 Chrysler Sebring out of p

Customer Question

I cannot shift my 2008 Chrysler Sebring out of park.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  SuperDave replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer.I will do my best to answer your question.Do your brake lights work?
Expert:  SuperDave replied 1 year ago.
Check your brake lights to make sure they work (you can also listen for a light click in the shifter while pressing and releasing the brake). The brake switch sends a signal to the front control module that you have pressed the brake. It turns the brake lights on, but it also sends a message to the shifter that you are pressing the brake and it's ok to come out of park. If the brake lights work ok we know the switch and module should be ok.
The problem is most likely going to be in the shifter itself, it isn't uncommon on these cars. The internal shift interlock mechanism breaks and won't allow the shifter to move. If that's the case the center console will need to be removed and the shifter replaced. It isn't that uncommon on these