Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

GMC 1500 Series: I have a 94 gmc 1500 2wd. It will not shift

Customer Question

I have a 94 gmc 1500 2wd. It will not shift out of first, slips getting into reverse and when decending a steep grade will only hold first gear if I'm going slower than 25 mph. Fluid is full tran fuse is good and engine light is not coming on. Any help that could steer me in the right direction without spending a lot would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
I would remove the transmission pan and check for metal debris in the pan.This does sound like a clutch or another component in the transmission mechanically is failing causing this here.If there is metal or even lots of clutch material in the transmission pan the transmission will need removed and taken apart for inspection and repair to correct this here.This doesn't sound like a valve body fault or an electrical solenoid fault in the valve body,this is an internal mechanical issue in the transmission needing located and repaired.
Thanks Pete