Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

Subaru Outback Limited: I have a 2001 Subaru Outback(Automatic).

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Subaru Outback(Automatic). I can shift into reverse but the car won't engage the gear. The car rocks backs a bit and revs but won't go...it feels like something is blocking the gear from engaging. All other gears work fine except for reverse.
Any suggestions? Thanks
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
You will need to have a transmission shop check it for reverse pressure. Basically any gear is applied by fluid pressure that clamps a series of clutch plates together. This fluid is sent to the various clutches by the valve body. So what we need to know is whether the valve is sending the proper pressure or not. If it is not then the issue may be fixed by repairing or replacing the valve body. But if there is good reverse pressure then it means the clutch unit has failed inside the transmission, so it will have to come all apart. It cannot be electrical since the computer doesn't control reverse at all, it is all mechanical. A trans shop should be able to diagnose it in less than an hour and tell you how far into the unit they have to go.