Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

Mitsubishi Galant ES: yes i have a 2001 galant that won't move

Customer Question

yes i have a 2001 galant that won't move when put inany forward or reverse gear obs codes po0760and p0765
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello
both of those codes are issues with the shift solenoids so the very 1st thing to try is to take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.
You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..
If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire
If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up
Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..
Often - just doing the above cures many troubles with these - and you certainly can't condemn the unit without doing the above...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good advice will try jt fhis weekend thanks
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
No problem
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hi
do you still need help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All good advise but did not solve the problem. Taking it to a shop
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Understood good luck