Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

Have a 2005 acura tl that is having transmission issues.

Customer Question

Have a 2005 acura tl that is having transmission issues. Thinking about just buying another used one, but having trouble finding one. My question is what is the difference in a 2007 transmission and my 2005? Can whatever the difference between the two
be swapped? I found a really low mileage 2007 trans. for 600 bucks.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The transmissions are completely different as one has a triple shaft electronically controlled transmission and one has a four shaft electronically controlled transmission.These are incompatible to be swapped out.
One place you can check is www.car-part.com as you may be able to locate the correct transmission for your model there.The part number I see for the 2005 model is a 20021RDGA52.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is the site I have been using and it only shows a 2005 is compatible. I have noticed on other sites they say that a 2004-2006 are compatible. Not sure if this is just with simply swapping out a couple sensors or something like that. Also I saw a post on a forum where a guy took a 2006-2007 transmission from a 3.0 honda and put it in his 2000 model tl. Is there any honda transmissions that I could get to work or acura transmissions from a mdx or something. There isn't much in the way of 2005 tl transmissions out there that isn't ridiculous in price. Thanks for your reply
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome
If you go with any other year or even model vehicle transmission it is different then the 2005.The 2004 and 2006 are closest and compatible but only if you swap out the transmission wiring and computer as well.Unfortunately it looks like most of the years had different part number and mechanical internals in the transmissions making them incompatible to swap directly over.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Isn't that great. I was just seeing several rebuilt transmission for sale on ebay, all of them saying they were compatible for 2004-2006 acura tl. I was just curious becasue I did an engine swap on a kia sportage one time and everything out there said none of their other motors were compatible even though they looked the same. I took the risk and bought one anyway. Only difference was the intake manifold had a different throttle cable bracket so I just swapped intake. Was hoping I could find something like this on the transmissions. Swapping out a whole computer sound like more of a nightmare than it's worth. I've done that before and had to get keys reprogrammed and all that. I just wonder why the rebuilt ones are saying compatible for those years.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Some say they are compatible to make the sale and others have warnings to check to make sure it is an exact fit.All of my info show different part numbers from year to year and even with Honda vehicles and they also show the difference with the mechanical components with the electronic controlled transmission components so the computer and wiring would have to be swapped out for sure in order for it to work properly.You would be taking a risk swapping out the incorrect model year that could turn into a head ache.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Well maybe you can help me with my transmission then. It doesn't slip and was running fine when my engine light came on. It was a tcc solenoid code. When I slowed down from highway speeds it shifted pretty hard once and that qas all I noticed. I changed the fluid and filter and seemed fine for a couple days. Yesterday it shifted hard again when coming off highway. It also seemed to have trouble one time while accelerating shifting into 2nd gear I believe. Other than that it was perfect. No slipping at all. Is it done for or should I try swapping out that tcc sensor or the linear solenoids
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
The TCC solenoid is most common as well as the linear solenoids.I don't think you have a mechanical fault calling for a complete transmission replacement because if this was the case the transmission would act up all of the time.
I would replace the linear solenoid pack and tcc sensor/solenoid since you have a code for the tcc solenoid itself.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I can try that. Thats cheaper for sure. I was just going off all the forums I had ready and everyone else that had the same fault code everyone was telling them the transmission was toast. That the clutches wear out and plug up the solenoid. What does the linear solenoid do? Should I replace them too or start with just the tcc
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
It is possible clutch wear has clogged up the solenoids so I wouldn't rule it out but usually this causes a fault at all times if this is the case here.
I would start with the tcc since this is the code you have and if sticking on this can cause shifting issues.The other solenoids are shift control solenoids.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. I will try changing fluid again and change the solenoid. Might need to think about trading it in cause I'm not gonna dump 2k into a transmission even with doing it myself.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else here and feel free to rate my help above if you like.
Thanks Pete