sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Dodge ram 1500: you seem to be of great help to this gentlemen

Customer Question

Hi you seem to be of great help to this gentlemen n I have a similar problem I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 with 46re transmission with 143k miles I didn't have any problems leading up but one day after work started it to go home and it wouldn't shift to 2nd I can make it get into 2nd if I try but then 2nd slips under too much power 1,3,4,R seem fine this was a month ago. Started it up yesterday drove it around same thing except now I noticed it won't go into park the column just gets stuck in reverse no matter how hard I push feels like something is blocking it. Prior to this I left the truck in neutral all winter with e brake on to help warm everything up every time I would shut it off. I'm not afraid to work on my truck just trying to figure out the real problem or if it is too big of a deal then I would like to just buy a new tranny from monster transmission. Thx for any help you can provide
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The two problems are related.
The slipping or lack of engagement into second gear are being caused by the kickdown band slipping or not applying. The band is connected to the adjuster with a small wedge shaped piece called the anchor. Due to band wear, failure, or breakage of the anchor, it has fallen out of position. This caused the loss of second gear, the anchor fell to the top of the valve body and is preventing the shift linkage from going into park.
The band may be fine. The anchor may just need to be replaced or it may have slipped out due to the band being worn and not periodically adjusted. Repairing it may just require dropping the valve body and reinstalling the anchor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that makes a lot of sense I bought a governor pressure solenoid and sensor, filter, gasket, and fluid because that was what I thought was wrong, but with this new info about shifting into park and the anchor I might have the problem. When I go to drop the pan if the band is broken what would be the best route to take? I understand dropping the pan, adjusting bands, and changing the filter, but I'm confused when you say drop the valve body what is this exactly and how difficult would it be to do at home. Thank you for your help.
The valve body is the large aluminum body of passages and valves that you'll see when the pan is removed. Once the pan is off you would chock the wheels or raise and support the truck, remove the shift linkage and unplug the 8 way connector on the left side of the trans. It's best to rotate the manual valve lever fully clockwise into manual first gear and this will allow for easier park rod clip access or it will put the park rod into a little bit easier position for removal.
The 7/16" valve body bolts are then removed and the valve body dropped.