Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

My 2002 Tundra suddenly became very difficult to select gears.

Customer Question

My 2002 Tundra suddenly became very difficult to select gears. The shifter is very stiff and won't go farther than drive. At the same time I've noticed occasional hard shifts into overdrive
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
This sounds like two possible faults here causing this.First is the shifter cable itself usually fails and binds up causing the hard shifts like this.I have had to replace the shifter cables in the past before for this issue here.I would disconnect the cable from the shifter and the transmission to see if this is the cause.
The second issue is the torque converter lock up solenoid in the transmission valve body can act up/fail and cause the no over drive issue.I would have the fault codes checked if this hasn't been done to see what codes are set and if any are set they will need diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.The solenoid may need tested as well to see if it is faulty needing replaced.
Thanks Pete