Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Transmissions: I have a Borg Warner T5 out of a 1984 Camaro.

Customer Question

I have a Borg Warner T5 out of a 1984 Camaro. In this application the transmission goes in at a slant (angle) because of the bolt holes in the bell housing. So when you hook it up to a regular GM bell housing it is back to level, but the motor mount on the transmission is on a slant and I am trying to find a tail housing that will make it horizontal with a cross member in a 1964 Chevelle. The transmission is in, clutch linkage is in, everything is OK except for the rear motor mount. Do you have a remedy to make the rear motor mount bolt up to my cross member. I have already tried an S10 tail housing but the shift linkage is too far forward (under the dash) using the S10 tail housing. Thanks
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist
how far off is it???
I have seen this in the past and we used a spacer on the trans mount where it bolts to the tail shaft to level out the mount.
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is not an answer that will fix my problem. With the existing mount on the tail shaft there is not enough room between the transmission and the cross member to put any kind of spacer and still have the engine at the right angle and not up against the floor board to work. I am not looking for a mickey mouse fix, I am looking for a part number or year and model tail housing to change with the existing tail housing so that it mounts up like the tail housing on an S10...I already tried the S10 and it bolted up, everything was fine except the shifting arm (lever) was too far forward and you can't reach it sitting in the driver's seat. With the T5 out of a 1984 Camaro with the shifting arm at the end of the tail shaft it makes it in the right position to reach and shift but won't bolt up because of the angle of the rear transmission mount. There is nothing wrong if you don't know, just let me know so we don't waste your time and my time and money. Thank you.