Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

Passport EX: I have a 98 Honda Passport with 180,000+ miles.

Customer Question

I have a 98 Honda Passport with 180,000+ miles. Recently, I started the car and put it in reverse, and as I started to pull out the car felt as though the emergency break was on except stronger - almost bumpy. I immediately knew something was wrong so I pulled forward back into the spot and felt the same bumpiness going forward. I turned off the car, waited a few seconds and started the car again. It seemed fine. I drove a few blocks away and parked for about 10 min. When I started the car again I experienced the same problem, maybe a bit stronger. I turned off the car again, waited a few seconds and restarted the car. It was better but could feel it for about a minute and then it seemed to stop. I drove the car fine for several blocks and even let the car run idle with no issue.
The check engine light is on - was diagnosed and thought to be an O2 sensor, but it has not been replaced. Also, prior to this, the car seemed to drive just fine. However over the last week or so, I've noticed that when I accelerate, I can hear a fairly faint high-pitched whine coming from somewhere towards the front of the car. As soon as I hear the noise, I let off the gas coast for a few seconds before continuing to accelerate. This seems to stop the noise.
Does this sound like a timing belt issue or some other type of problem?
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, do you think this car is on the verge of breaking down before I can drive to the mechanics roughly 10 miles away?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
From what you have described here this sounds like a brake caliper hanging up and causing the brake to apply slightly or an issue with the brake master cylinder itself applying brake hydraulic pressure to the brakes needing replaced.I have seen both of these cause this fault here and had to replace the affected component.It can apply and release like this here.
I would have the brakes checked to see if either are the cause and the affected component replaced.
Thanks Pete