Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS: The spring loaded part of my automatic

Customer Question

The spring loaded part of my automatic shifter broke some time ago, been working fine but I have to manually push shifter back toward dash to get key to switch off. A friend moved my 01 suburban and somehow managed to turn key off without totally locking shifter back to park. Now I cannot turn key, the steering wheel is not locked but shifter does not feel right. Key just will not rotate from off position. Any suggestions?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
You will most likely have to disassemble the steering column to get to the shifter spring and assembly to see if you can manually trigger the shifter into place to correct this here.I have seen some of these fail in the past before and had to repair the shifter/column to correct this fault.This will need further inspection to locate and repair the component at fault here.
Thanks Pete