Gm Tech Cam
Gm Tech Cam, Service Technician
Experience:  11 years experience, specializing in Trans, Elec and Dmax
10949255

Transmissions 700R: i HAVE A 1992 CHEVY 4X4 Z71 WITH 700R AND

Customer Question

i HAVE A 1992 CHEVY 4X4 Z71 WITH 700R AND A 241C tc AND WHILE I'M DRIVING I HAVE A VERY LOUD KNOCK. iT SOUNDED LIKE THE TCASE BUT I'VE GOT IT ALL TAKEN APART. I HAVE NO SHAVINGS OR LOOSE PARTS. WHAT IN THE TRANSMISSION WILL MAKE A LOUD NOISE. I HAVE ELIMINATED THE FLYWHEEL AND THE TORK CONVERTER. AT THE END SHAFT OF THE TRANSMISSION I HAVE NO BACK AND FORTH MOTION BUT I DO HAVE SOME SIDE TO SIDE MOTION.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Gm Tech Cam replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Cam.
Can I get your first name?
Sorry to hear about this issue. Can you tell me when it makes the noise? What speeds? When in 2wd or 4wd? turning or straight?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My name is***** makes the noise starting at 5 - 10 mph and up, at 70 its very bad and sounds like something is coming apart, it will quiet down when I take my foot off the accelarator. no noise at idle. only 2wd never tested in 4wd. it will quiet down some. i have the front drive line out.
That does not sound good James. I think that with your comment about only when on the fuel sends this issue into the rear diff. With no metal in the transfer case, I doubt its the issue but I would suggest trying it in 4wd even with the front diff out to eliminate the front sliding gear as the issue.
If you don't find it then lets look to the rear diff. Take the rear cover off and lets inspect the gear set inside. That is a place where load to no load or accelerating and decelerating will make a large difference on the noise.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think the rear diff was gone thru before i bought it. i jacked it up, accelerated i heard the noise and it sounded like it was coming from the tc. what about the play i have on the rear shaft of my tranny no in and out play but side to side play ?
By back and forth you do mean in and out play, and that you had none of that?
If so then a little side to side does raise any red flags as of yet. If you do look at the transmission fluid, do you see metal particles floating inside the fluid?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so the side to side does raise a red flag or does not raise a red flag ? i will check the tranny fluid in the morning, if there is metal particles we will need a neww tranny ? thanx cam
It would all depend on how much side to side. The fact there is no lateral play suggests the end play is fine which in turn suggests the bearings inside are fine.
But consider this, its hard to really gauge without feeling it myself how much there is, and there is no measurement spec for side to side, only in and out play.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. i'll check the rear diff and check for metal flakes in the tranny. thank you cam
My pleasure. Let me know what you find.
Please be sure to save this page as a favorite in your web browser so you can reply back to me easily. you can reply at an time, even after accepting or rating me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i will thank you
My pleasure.