sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

RAM 2500: HiOne more time i need your help

Customer Question

Hi
One more time i need your help for transmission problem.
I have 2002 Dodge Ram van 2500 with 5.9L Engine.
Transmission is shifting normal up to last gear but doesn't go to over drive.
When i'm driving on the freeway and push the over drive bottom (ON &OFF) nothing happened.and no code in the computer.
Let me know please what is the problem if you know.
THANK YOU AGAIN
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
You may have a few things going on and monitoring some data with a scan tool is really going to be necessary.
If no codes are setting then in theory it intentionally is preventing the shift, but it's possible that a code just isn't setting although the overdrive clutch is being commanded.
High trans temperature, high throttle angle, or high engine load are the most likely things to cause it to intentionally not allow a 3-4 upshift.
If it's actually commanding fourth gear then the problem is either the overdrive solenoid, a geartrain or clutch vfailure in the overdrive unit, or a leaking overdrive piston.