Richard, Jeep Technician
Experience:  Over 24 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

Grand Cherokee Limited: I have Jeep Grand Cherokee limited

Customer Question

I have Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 2WD V6 4.0. I had O/D and TRANS OVER TEMP lights come ON for a couple of seconds yesterday so I took to Transmission shop for review. They say it is code P0713. There might be a short in the electrical system. To check before repairs it will cost $495 to drop the Transmission and open it plus the cost of parts and repairs. The gears changes are all okay the transmission has been oil service has been serviced about 20K miles, oil is clean and no leaks. Does this sound okay or should I take it to a dealer
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Richard! I'm a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep tech with 23+ years experience & I'm going to try my best to help, so let's get started!
The transmission will not need to be removed for this problem!
It sounds like you might just have a faulty governor pressure transducer. The transmission temperature sensor is built into the governor pressure transducer.
You could also have a wiring issue, loose connection or PCM issue but I think replacing the governor pressure transducer will take care of your problem.
The sensor is very easy to replace, you just have to drop the pan and remove two T25 torx screws and three 7/16" head bolts, then pull the steel retainer down, disconnect the electrical connector and remove the transducer.
Book time is 1.5 hours and the part is around $100 and oil would be around $40. The part number for the transducer is 68164850AA.
I hope this helps, let me know!
Thank you,
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm just checking in to see if you got your vehicle fixed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not gotten that fixed yet. Dealer has a backlog for servicing. Will let you know when I get that done. Thank you.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, keep me posted!
Thank you,