Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I have a 1999 f150 in limp what can I do?

Customer Question

Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Welcome to our site. If your transmission is in "Limp Mode" (transmission will stay in only one gear no matter what the vehicle speed, does not slip), the main computer should have stored the correspondent code(s). If that is in fact what is happening with your F150, then the first step in the diagnosis is to have the computer scanned for codes - places like Advance and Autozone will do that for you free of charge. We'll know more once we get those codes.
Going off-line for tonight. Will return tomorrow after 2PM ET.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no codes, we are a transmission shop and scaned it with our machine. we also took it apart and found nothing but the 3rd accum broke... fixed that and nothing.... same thing limp. It has no bad fuses and the scanner shows it to be shifting 1-2-3-4 so im at a loss.... solenoid maybe? I thought that would show a code but nothing... it did have a trans tep sol P1711 so we changed the black wiring board the code did not return however limp is still limping lol....HELP!!!!!!
Regarding code P1711, the sensor might be sending the wrong signal, which might be making the PCM think fluid temp is too high so it's putting the trans in limp mode. Do a hard reset by first disconnecting both battery cables; wait 5 minutes and rub the two cable ends together. If the condition persists, you're going to need a scanner capable of reading all the tranny PIDs so you can then see what's really going on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't you seen my last input????? We are a trans shop and done all the easy stuff so plz if you can jump over all this fuse checking and hard restarts DONE THEM....😞
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTW we have a modius ultra...everything shows it to be shifting as it should....
I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with aftermarket scanners - we used to have the NGS, but then that was superseded by the WDS.So, I take it you've done the hard reset. Can your scanner read the FTS PID? If so, is it changing as the tranny warms up? Are there other tranny PIDs you can read and share?This might seem like a waste of time to you, but please believe me, it is what we did day in and day out at the dealer; we had to go through a systematic diagnostic path. You might also want to consider the possibility of talking to another expert with aftermarket experience who might be able to help you without going through all these tests. Would you like me to opt out and let other experts chime in?