sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Concerning 2005 Nissan Frontier SE*****W/manual

Customer Question

Concerning 2005 Nissan Frontier SE*****W/manual transmission and 4.0 liter engine. Serial #1N6AD07U05C411239. Engine will not start unless I put power directly to Solenoid.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
There are a handful of things that could be causing the problem and it will take some electrical testing to determine what is going on.
40a fuse J could be blown, the ignition switch may have failed.
The ignition switch input goes to the starter relay in the IPDM, the module in the IPDM also controls inhibit. If it doesn't see input from the clutch switch then the relay won't engage, or if there is an issue in the IPDM itself it could cause a no start.
The problem could also be an open circuit between the IPDM and the starter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. I want to use my minutes as efficiently as possible so let me bring you up to speed on what I've done. There is voltage (12V) at the gray wire going into the IPDM when the ignition switch is in the start position but no voltage coming out of the white wire leading down to the solenoid. So the ignition switch is fine. I thought it was the starter relay in the IPDM so I replaced the IPDM which didn't work. I checked the clutch switch at the pedal by unplugging it and crossing the two wires but it still wouldn't start. I understand this may not be the correct way to check it. When I try to start the engine there are 2 clicking noises. One is coming from behind the glove box. There is a blue plug going to that unit but I don't know what it is. The other click is coming from a brown relay of some sort located in the box in front of the IPDM.
Again, if I put power directly to the solenoid, the engine will start. Please advise.
Have you checked the clutch switch input to the IPDM with a scan tool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know how to check the clutch switch. There are no fault codes.
A scan tool capable of monitoring data in the IPDM will be necessary to diagnose the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not to question your knowledge but are you more of a transmission tech. I ask because I've been told that a scan tool is not needed for this procedure.
You can't read module data without a scan tool.
Your question is open for others.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a scan tool but there are no fault codes.
If another expert wishes to help they will respond automatically. Replying in the mean time will direct the question back to me.