Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

F150: I have a 97 Ford f150 4×4 just put a transmission in

Customer Question

I have a 97 Ford f150 4×4 just put a transmission in it and it's not shifting into drive. Can take off in drive position shifts to second fine then not to third/drive, when it revs up and let off gas it shifts then try to excellerate it goes to second
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist
is the trans an E4OD??? is it used???
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
ok, this trans is the worst trans that ford ever made. so many issues with planetary failures.
if you did not already, change the oil/filter in the trans. if that does not help then you got a bad box and it will have to come out and get another one.
have you considered a re manufactured trans??
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Box? It does have a new screen.I have the old transmission that the clutches were burnt up
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
sorry, box is slang for the transmission.
see if you have a trans shop in your area that will rebuild your old trans. you should be able to get new clutches and seals for about 800-900, plus a converter. you must replace that as it is contaminated with metal filings from the bad clutches.
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there any vacuums that could be the problem the motor is also running bad now
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
no, all electronic. no vacuum for years on the ford transmissions.
if the transmission is not working correctly, the engine will not run right. once you resolve the transmission issue, then see how the engine runs
Roy