Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

Pontiac Firebird: took a 5.7 Vortec out of a truck and put

Customer Question

took a 5.7 Vortec out of a truck and put in my 1988 Firebird with a t5 transmission bought a flywheel from Summit Racing but engine is shaking
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.

Did you buy a flywheel for an externally, or internally balanced 350 Chevy engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Internal

Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

That is the problem all Vortec's are externally balanced. All the small block Chevy's with the two piece rear main seal , with the exception of the 400 are internally balanced. All the 350's with the one piece rear seal are externally balanced. You need an externally balanced flywheel to allow the engine to run smoothly. If you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.