Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  I have been rebuilding automatic transmissions for 25 years
14541291

Cadillac Deville: I have a 1996 Deville 138000 miles that transmission

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Deville 138000 miles that transmission won't shift past 2nd
reverse works
And there is no slippage when I torq against the break
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is Tim,
I will do my best to assist you
what does it do when it is time to shift to 3rd?does it just hold 2nd?or,does it shift like into neutal and the engine rev?
does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?
tell me all you can
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The transmission did slip into neutral and the engine reved. Three day ago there was a sound when shifting to third and also when shifting into fourth , the sound was a fart like sound .Smile

The only codes are PCM code about a O2 censor which I have already replaced and ACM code AC high side warning which I believe is more of a wiring issue since the AC is still working.

ok
this is not good at all
your problem is the 3-4 clutch frictions have burned out.,sorry,but i dont see an easy fix for this one.the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced
thanks
If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.