Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, Repair Supervisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, L! Advanced Level with over 20 years of experience.
1627031

2008 Audi S4 4.2L V8 mileage: 63,300 transmission: auto

Customer Question

2008 Audi S4 4.2L V8 mileage: 63,300 transmission: auto Bought the car about 3 weeks ago, been driving with no issues. This morning was driving to work, halfway there, car lost power and i couldn't accelerate, check engine light came on along with the
EPC light, pulled over to shoulder and engine stalled. Tried to start car again, would idle really rough and shaky so i shut it off. After trying a few times, it would not start at all. Waited about 5 mins, car cooled off and started with that same shaky rough
idle. Towed the car home, noticed oil level was low. Added about a half a quart of oil or so. Tried to start car again, engine cranked and it started for a few seconds and then a knocking sound as if a few cylinders are misfiring. Currently have no idea where
to start looking. Don't want to take to the dealer until i have an idea what this could be. Spark plugs are good, were changed at dealer at 54k miles. I really hope this is a Timing Chain Tensioner issue. Is there any sensors that could cause this? Any help
would be much appreciated.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction: I really hope this is NOT a Timing Chain Tensioner issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call + Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Can you tell me if the check engine light happened to come on right as this was occurring? Do you have a computer scan tool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Yes the check engine light started flickering first when the car wouldn't accelerate, and then came on solid after a few seconds. I apologize, I do not have a computer scan tool.I am actually going to be towing the car to the dealer where I bought from and they'll run the diagnostics and fix the problem.To me, sounds like the timing chain tensioners and chain guides are done and engine needs to be pulled out.
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.
That is by far the most common failure on this engine to cause this. Hopefully this will be covered under some sort of warranty from them as it is a costly repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So am i being charged $34 for this? can I cancel?I found a fix/answer at the dealer before i got one here.
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.
I will opt out of the question. You can contact customer service if you would like a refund. If you have any other questions in the future please let me know.