sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

300: plan to swap leaking trans with salvage trans on 2001

Customer Question

plan to swap leaking trans with salvage trans on 2001 3.5 L 300. What model or years are suitable for swap as it seems newer year, if same, would be better? Mechanic says "pump" is faulty. Where are codes found that I read about in other messages? How do I access them? HELP?!
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It sounds as if the cause of the leak has been diagnosed as the pump. there is a gasket, an outer seal and a converter hub seal on the pump which all can leak. The bushing in the pump can wear and contribute to leaks also.
If you're wanting to replace the trans instead of repairing it then a 1999 through 2004 trans shows interchangeable. As far as getting a newer trans the year wouldn't matter as much as the mileage. A lower mileage unit in most cases would be more desirable.