Gm Tech Cam
Gm Tech Cam, Service Technician
Experience:  11 years experience, specializing in Trans, Elec and Dmax
10949255

2008 Buick Enclave

Customer Question

When I drive my 2008 Buick Enclave in reverse it feels like I am driving with the parking break on when technically it is not.

Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Gm Tech Cam replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I am cam. Do you have any check engine lights on? Do you have issues with it shifting when going forward? What is the history of this issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No lights or issues shifting. Started yesterday after I towed my boat with it.

I dont suppose you have the VIN handy do you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no

OK, So we need first to see if you have anything like a brake that is hanging up or causing it to bind in reverse only. DO you have any hills around you? IF so can you drive up and put it in reverse then let the vehicle roll backwards rather than giving it gas to see if it rolls. IF it moves fine then this is internal to the transmission. What part may be difficult to tell. tHere is a bulletin that outlines issues with reverse and other gears, but I am not sure it applies if every other gear is find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did that earlier. The car seemed to be fine without being hindered. It happens when I put it in reverse and then give it gas. It feels like the brake is on then as I give more gas it does not do it.

I feel it could be a lip seal inside the transmission then allowing fluid to engage a clutch not meant to be engaged and therefore its fighting against itself. The test I would do next is to drop the transmission pan, open the filter and see what debris we can find in there. This is also why I wanted your vin to see if there was any special policies (things GM pays for) that may cover this issue for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I think its best I then bring it to my mechanic. Thank you for the help.

Absolutely, I agree, however I would consider if your mechanic is good with transmissions. It may save you a bunch of time and money to visit a reputable transmission shop rather than general mechanic.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please rate my answer OK to Excellent service and feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this issue you may have.Please know that the only compensation for my time spent assisting you is when you provide that rating.