Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  25 yrs. repairing vehicles. Factory trained Nissan and Subaru Technician.
2921078

I have a 2012 Nissan sentra cvt trannie and its stuck in park

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Nissan sentra cvt trannie and its stuck in park or when its out of park wont go back into park
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, Are you using the manual override to take it out of park?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It finally comes out. We have found a couple blown fuses
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, first thing we need to check is that the brake lights come on when you step on the brakes. Do the fuses blow when you step on the brakes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes brake light come on when I step on brakes
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Does the car have a key or does it use the key fob with the knob on the column to start it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
key
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it sounds like there is an issue with the shift lock solenoid itself. Can you use the manual override and get the car out of gear? This is located just above the position letters on the console. You can pop it out, then press it with a pen cap or small screwdriver, this should allow you to pull back and take it out of park. Please try this and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes we did this and it didn't change anything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did find 2 blown fuses could that have anything to do with it. We are not sure what the fuses that re blown do?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Did you replace the fuses though?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no not yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could that be the problem?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, if the fuses are for the park position switch inside the shifter then it could be stopping the shift interlock from working. I would replace the fuses and try it, but then if it doesn't work check and make sure these fuses didn't blow on you again. Please try this and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the 2 fuses we found we cant find what they are to do? The fuses are ok but they wont light up with the test light even when the car is on?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Are they inside the car or under the hood? I might be able to locate a diagram and be able to tell you what they do. I don't get labels, just numbers for the fuses.Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WE just sold it and the guy who bought it plugged a cell phone charger I and an I-pod then he had this problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fuses box is inside car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fuses are 10 amp
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, give me just a couple of minutes to get a diagram and we can sort out which fuses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok great thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me know which numbers are lacking power and I will see what I can come up with here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok might take me a min or two
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its #9 & #8
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I think you also have a blown fuse in the IPDM, the large fuse and relay box under the hood. It's fuse #46 which is a 15 amp fuse. At the moment I am not finding a terminal diagram I am however working on it. In the meantime take a test light and see if any of the 15 amp fuse are blown with the key on. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok working on it now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the description of that fuse not seeing a #46
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
That's kinda my point. I don't get a descriptiion in the service manual and I am having some issues locating a diagram which is why I am suggesting you try to test them with a test light while I try to find a diagram with numbers on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Finally! A diagram for you, I highlighted the one I thinks the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me check it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is under the hood right? We put a test light on all the fuses in both boxes under the hood and the test light says they are all good
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
This fuse is the power supply for the 2 inside that don't have any power, are you 100% sure they are good and also, did you check both sides of #46?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes just checked it again with the car running and off and test light says they are good
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Can you check fuses 18 and 7 in the box inside the car for me please to see if there is power on them?Also, this is a 2.0 engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes on the 2.0 and there is power to 18 and 7
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
It's not making sense here. Can you tell me if the interior lights work, power door locks and the door chime?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes everything works lights chimes windows. We are wondering if someone lost a coin or small object down in shifter that is stopping it. Now we are trying to remove the shifter knb to look down in there. Cant get the cover off over the shifter knob.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
To get that off, pull the chrome down that's below the knob, then, there is a clip has to come out, pull the clip and the knob will come off.