John Crouch
John Crouch, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  22 years of Ford service, and Ford senior master certified in diesel, gasoline and hybrid vehicles
33610027

Ford F150 Lariat: I have a 2004 Ford F150 Lariat new body style

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Ford F150 Lariat new body style with a 5.4 litre 4 x 4 automatic transmission. I am having shift problems with the transmission. When you start the truck and drive away the transmission shifts through all the gears normally, when you come to a complete stop and press the brakes, then go again, the transmission will not shift out of first gear unless you manually move the shift lever into 2nd or neutral, then back into drive, and it will continue the shift sequence automatically. If you come to a complete stop and manually shift the gear shift lever into neutral or 2nd, ,then back into drive before you proceed, it will shift through all the gears normally. If you stop and start the engine, then go again, it will shift through all the gears just fine, until you come to a stop, then the trans. will not automatically shift out of first gear again. I had removed the trans. oil pan and valve assembly, did not find any problem with sticky valves or blown gaskets. I have replace the 1st and 2nd accumulator piston and spring without any change and changed the fluid. There was no filings or any signs of any failure in the trans. There are no DTC's in the system for this either. Thanks.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  John Crouch replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question.
Since you have changed the fluid we can eliminate that from the possibilities that could cause this. The next thing would be the digital transmission range sensor, they do wear out. It is mounted on the shifter shaft on the transmission. If that does not take care of it, then disassembly of the transmission will be nessesary to see what has failed. If this were a old trans that was not electronic, I would recommend looking at the governor but it does not have one.
If you would like to send me the complete VIN, I can run it for you as well and see if any SSM's or TSB's come up on it.
At this point I would try the DRS first, most of the time that will correct a issue like this.
If you need more information or have more questions, just respond and I will reply just as soon as I can.
Once again, thank you for using Just Answer and have a great day.