JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician ASE L1 Certified Technician
25345654

Chevrolet express van 3500: I'm on the road 500 miles from

Customer Question

I'm on the road 500 miles from civilization and my transmission has gone out while pulling a hill. I pulled to the side and put in 1 and drives fine. No reverse and must start in 1 and shift. P0894 pops up in handheld. Is this limp mode?
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, before it went out. my temp keeps rising when I go 70 and above. I am pulling a trailer. Has reached 260 and alarm sounded.
Expert:  JFN1 replied 1 year ago.
What year is your van? Diesel or gas engine?
Expert:  JFN1 replied 1 year ago.
Ah, nevermind, I see it now in your vehicle data, it wasn't visible to me at first.
That code denotes a transmission slipping component. It does NOT mean it's in limp mode, so the fact that it's not shifting on its own is likely due to internal damage. Generally speaking, combined with the high temperatures, it sounds very likely that the transmission is burned up and needs to be overhauled.