Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Trans Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.
18617752

Chevrolet HHR LS: I have a 2006 chev HHR. It needs transmission

Customer Question

I have a 2006 chev HHR. It needs transmission fluid changed and has 58,183 on it. My husband an army vet died 6 years ago and I can't afford to pay weshlo dealer 400 dollars to change it but light is on and I'm 76 years old and afraid it might blow up on me. Is there ant warranty that could help me. my sons have all and still have chev. trucks and cars purchased at Weshlo in Carlsbad?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Welcome to the site! Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z. I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.
I'm sorry the Tech you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his 15 minute "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place...
Was there a reason you were looking to have the transmission fluid replaced? Are you experiencing any symptoms or drivability issues that may be transmission related?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes!! when I drive the car and it shifts the whole car lurches and when I put it in reverse it really does a lurch. and the engine lite never goes out and I'm afraid the trans is going out.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If the Engine Light is also on while you are having these symptoms, more than likely, there is a mechanical problem internal of the transmission. Possibly a Shift Solenoid or a Sensor somewhere. Replacing the transmission fluid more than likely is not going to solve this problem. So, with that in mind, the first thing we'll need to do is to have the Diagnostic Trouble Code (aka "P-Codes") retrieved from the on-board computer. These p-codes will help us more accurately and efficiently determine the part or sensor that has the problem and make the correct diagnostics and repair from there. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). Once you have these p-codes, unfortunately, more times than not, a repair is going to be needed. Depending on what type of warranty you have on the vehicle will determine whether or not the repair will be made for Free. Please remember to do the right thing and leave a rating using the stars at the top right of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A! You can ask follow-up questions even after you rate or accept.