Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines

F350: I am going to disconnect my batteries for a few days

Customer Question

I am going to disconnect my batteries for a few days to perform some work on my truck and understand the transmission needs to be "retrained" after reconnecting. Can someone tell me how to do this?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I'm Chris. Welcome and thanks for asking your question!

Once you reconnect the batteries:

• Start the vehicle and let it idle for 1 minute
  • Rev the engine to 2000 rpms for 10 seconds
  • Idle the engine for 1 minute.
  • Shift to reverse with the brake held and stay there for 5 seconds
  • Shift to neutral and repeat
  • Shift to drive then repeat
  • Shift to neutral and repeat
  • Shift to reverse and repeat
  • Without moving and staying in each gear 5 seconds hit each gear R-N-D 5 times.
  • Drive slow to 30 mph then brake slow to zero, do this 3 times
  • Drive slow to 55mph then brake slow to zero, do this 3 times

These steps will help the training process be speed up as much as possible so the truck performs its best going into then learning your personal driving style strategy.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines

Once you reconnect the batteries:

Start the vehicle and let it idle for 1 minute

Rev the engine to 2000 rpms for 10 seconds

Idle the engine for 1 minute.

Shift to reverse with the brake held and stay there for 5 seconds

Shift to neutral and repeat

Shift to drive then repeat

Shift to neutral and repeat

Shift to reverse and repeat

Without moving and staying in each gear 5 seconds hit each gear R-N-D 5 times.

Drive slow to 30 mph then brake slow to zero, do this 3 times

Drive slow to 55mph then brake slow to zero, do this 3 times

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Hello again Chris here.

It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help with the concern we worked on, and if not to say Thanks.

Also note we have about 80 categories from medical to boats to small engines to legal to whatever you can think of. If you have any other questions give us a shot with another question.

Thanks Chris
.
.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks Chris,

I still have the batteries disconnected. It will be few days before I get the truck put back together. I will let you know when I have it done and if I need additional help.

Kolin

Thanks