sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

neon: I drove the car a few miles yesterday I shifted perfectly

I drove the car a few miles yesterday I shifted perfectly and made no noises. My daughter drive it to work last evening about 12 miles one way we followed her to work and she said everything was working fine. She git hime from work last evening and said the light came on going up a hill on the way home codes are p0841 p0700 p0740 p00700 p0740 in that order the p0732 is not there yet my scanner has freeze.frame data if that does anything for you. If it were you would you just put a torque converter in and change the fluid again or change the torque converter and transmission or would you do something else I will do the work myself. At this point the transmission is still acting fine shifting normally no slipping and no noises
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

im sorry your having this problem

so the car runs and shifts just fine its just the codes in the computer that the problem is ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

im not sure what to do here I was working with a guy yesterday and payed him the problem came back and I wanted his advice again I wanted to work with him but it got opened up to other people

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
lets see if he will pick back up this question hang on
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hi again!

Had you cleared the codes after the pan was dropped?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

With the P0841 set again I would have expected it to be slipping again.

Is it making any noises, especially stopped and in gear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I drove the car a few miles yesterday. It shifted perfectly and made no noises. My daughter drove it to work yesterday about 12 miles 1 way we followed her and she said everything seemed fine. On the way home from work last night the light came on when she was going up a hill. The codes are p0841 p0700 p0740 in that order p0732 is not there yet. My scanner has freeze frame data if that does anything for you. If it were you would you just put a torque converter in or atorque converter and a transmission or wiuld you do something else at this point the tranny is not slipping shifting abnormally or making any noise.i dont know if a second oil change would help or not since ut happened again so quickly

We know that the filter was plugged the first time around because we got it moving again.

I had originally expected that the converter clutch had failed and plugged the filter because of the P0740, but when you didn't find the pan full of clutch material I wondered if that had set because of lowered line pressure from the plugged filter.

With it setting again that tells us there is a converter clutch issue for sure.

The P0841 can set because of low line pressure or it could also be a bad low/reverse pressure switch in the solenoid pack. When this code sets it should either be slipping or it would go into limp-in and lock in second gear until the key is cycled. I'm wondering if she didn't notice it was in limp-in.

With the P0740 setting you're going to need a converter for sure. It sounds like you may need a solenoid pack too and it's hard to say what else is going on inside the trans since you found a large amount of metal when you dropped the pan. The metal could be coming from the converter or it could be the pump or another geartrain component.

You can try dropping the pan again or have it flushed with a machine and see what happens. At the least you're going to need a converter to permanently repair the P0740. If you add the cost of a solenoid pack plus the torque converter you're quickly approaching the same cost as the $450 used trans you found, with Mopar parts to replace the converter and solenoid pack it would be just over $400. If you need to try and get by without spending much on it then you might try dropping the pan again but even if the converter hasn't delaminated yet I expect it will in the near future and then your debris issues are going to be even worse.

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist