Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines

Ford f150: Hi, I am dealing with the broken overdrive servo

Hi, I am dealing with the broken overdrive servo retaining ring. I was told that when you put the overdrive servo back in you have to push the overdrive band over and the stem on the overdrive servo has to be pushed into a slot in the overdrive band. Is that correct?

Hello, I'm Chris. Welcome and thanks for asking your question!

The servo push rod does have to be in the slot on the overdrive band or the servo will not apply anything and the band will be crooked and bind damaging the internals in the transmission. below are the Ford direction for installing this servo.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just so im clear. I was told theres a small hole in the overdrive band next to the overdrive servo bay. Im suppose to put an angled pick in that hole and push the band towards the overdrive servo bay until I see the slot, then push the overdrive servo rod up into that slot?

I have never done it that way, I just look through the servo hole and see if the band slot is aligned with the hole, and then press the band through the hole with a pick to verify the band moves and applies. A band out of position is very unlikely, I can not recall ever having an issue getting the servo to line up perfect with the band.

Hello again Chris here.

It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help with the concern we worked on, and if not to say Thanks.

Also note we have about 80 categories from medical to boats to small engines to legal to whatever you can think of. If you have any other questions give us a shot with another question.

Thanks Chris