Edward
Edward, Automatic and Manual transmission rebuilder
Experience:  I have rebuilt various transmissions from Ford and GM and some imports.
29534642

Mercury Mountaineer 4x4: Putting new engine in mountaineer

Putting new engine in mountaineer 2005 but transmission wont turn to hook up the flex plate

Edward :

Hello, and thanks for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help. Let me first ask, did you try to spin the engine before you put it in the car?

Customer:

Yes and it turned over

Customer:

I bolted the flex plate on to the engine and lined up the marks on the torque conv and put the engine in and put the stud marked on and put the s

Edward :

Alright, I believe your tourque convertor has slipped then. That's the only thing that could make it lock up. You need to uncouple the tranny from the engine, (or vice versa) and make sure the tourque convertor is all the way in the transmission. if it's one click out, you can still bolt it up, but it will bind the convertor and likely not let the engine turn. If the engine turns fine not coupled to the tranny, but binds up when the tranny is installed, the problem is the convertor isn't in all the way and won't turn when you tighten up the bellhousing bolts.

Customer:

The convertor is all the way in and cant pull it back out it is tight I cant slide it forward again to do anything

Edward :

you can't turn the engine at all? either way?

Customer:

Not with it bolted up

Edward :

Can you spin the convertor after it's bolted up?

Edward :

with no bolts in it?

Edward :

I should say, can you spin the convertor with the bellhousing bolts tight, but without installing the flywheel to convertor bolts.

Customer:

No to no bolts cant spin at all

Edward :

OK, the convertor should spin free after the bellhousing bolts are tightened. that's how you install the flywheel to convertor bolts. you have to spin the convertor to line up the flywheel to convertor bolts. The convertor should be loose in the tranny after the bellhousing bolts are tight.

Edward :

If the convertor doesn't spin free after the bellhousing bolts are tightened. Then it's not in all the way.

Customer:

The convertor has the studs on it and when you bolt engine to bell housing the convertor studs mate up through the flywheel that way you cant turn it to put the nuts on through the starter recept.

Edward :

Yes, the convertor is studded, I should say when you grab a stud through the flywheel, the stud should move slightly back and forth when it's through the flexplate hole.

Edward :

It will make a "ting ting ting" noise. when you rock a convertor stud in the flexplate. see if it does that and it's loose. if it's not a little loose in the flexplate, then it's bound up.

Customer:

Well it is bound up and wont move any How do you get convertor back to realign it

Edward :

OK, that is the problem, You've got to either pull the engine out, or pull the tranny I'm afraid, you can't get to it any other way, should go in 3 clicks and rattle when it's in all the way slightly.

Edward :

it won't just fall in if it's bound up. it's not that easy to even get them in wingling and spinning them into the tranny.

Customer:

I have the engine pulled out of the way I cant pull the convertor forward towards the engine Is it bound up on the input shaft of the tranny?

Edward :

yes, it should come out, nothing holds it in

Edward :

can you spin it now?

Customer:

I am going out to try it now will take a few minutes

Edward :

alright, good luck, let me know what happens.

Customer:

Ed he cant get it to pull forward. Is there any way to get this forward or is this a common issue

Edward :

Can't get what to pull forward? the tourque convertor out of the bellhousing?

Customer:

Yes cant pull the torque convertor out

Edward :

does it turn?

Customer:

No it is tight

Edward :

OK, It should turn easy.

Customer:

it is tight on the shaft

Edward :

Something is wrong inside the transmission pump gears. that convertor should come out relatively easy.

Edward :

rock it back and forth and try to get it out. you may have to pry on it some

Customer:

Could it have been damaged when the engine was taken out

Edward :

it's very possible, if that convertor won't turn, and the tourque convertor is stuck and won't come out, then either it was damaged when the engine was taken out, or put in, or the transmission was bad before you took the engine out.

Edward :

But, we know why the engine won't turn now, so I would take the tranny to a tranny shop, and maybe they can free it up, or replace the pump gears, wouldn't cost that much. since the pump gears are right under the bellhousing.

Customer:

Thank you will investigate

Edward :

the engine turns fine not coupled to the tranny correct?

Edward :

your welcome. Thank you. I believe you'll find your problem there. when the convertor is in all the way, the engine and tranny go together easily, don't pull it together with the bellhousing bolts. then the stud should be loose in the flexplate before you tighten any flywheel nuts.